Thursday 18 October 2012

5, 6, SEVEN LIONS.

I'll be the first to admit it - I don't know nearly as much as I'd like to know about "classifying genre's" and all that shit. Sure, give me some house, dub step, electro, progressive, trance, yeah piece of cake, no problem, give me 5 seconds and I'll tell you what heading it falls under almost immediately. But then it gets tricky...You don't just need to know what giant classifier a certain track falls underneath, there are specific sub-types underneath the first large umbrella, like euro-trance, acid-trance, vocal-trance (okay, that ones easy), uplifting trance, etc....give me a break. I guess I'm suppose to know this stuff, but I don't. And I know people that do know this stuff and it blows me away...maybe I should learn? 

Check out urban dictionary's "definitions" of trance, lol.



Either way, that's besides the point. The point is I'm obsessed with SEVEN LIONS. I don't like Skrillex, and dubstep usually makes me want to stick my head inside an oven, Shambhala was definintly one of those "I'm here for the community and experience not necessarily the bass-womping music" type of situations, and usually when I think of dub in any kind of way, I want to shake my head, pop an advil and call 'er a day. 

***NOTE however that I do make exceptions. For example, DIRTYLOUD has had this weird hold on me for awhile now, their dirty, their bassy, and when they break down some dubstep I can't get enough. I think their so talented.  So that being said, I make exceptions, not always ones I can explain, but when my little ears like something, they like something. Hell, even at Pure in #yeg I got down to a little Hardstyle, which is an even stranger concept to wrap your mind around then me and dubstep. 



I think I've made 2 points here; one, I can't always classify a song into a genre and I'm not totally sure if its an important ability to even have (although I'm open to learning), and secondly dubstep and me are like oil and water (no mixing). Getting me to listen to electro or trance isn't hard and getting me to like it usually isn't very difficult either. But when I listen to a genre I can classify, and I've classified it as something I don't like and yet I do, in fact like it - Now THAT'S great. 

I think it's actually kind of funny how pigeon-holed some people can become in their tastes and artist preferences, unwilling to ever step out and try something new. Yeah, you like that new Armin song? Big surprise, seeing as how you've got ASOT tattoo's on your forearms and you've seen him the 17 times he's been in your city and "he's your God"....give me a break. It makes Armin special when he grabs a fan and maintains one, yes. What would make Armin REALLY special is if he grabbed the dirtiest dub, glitch-hop fan there was and made them fall in love with trance and what he does as a producer. (I love Armin and I'm not ripping him up, I think hes a genius but I also love trance so I think that alone proves my point). 

What I'm trying to say is that I think SEVEN LIONS is brilliant because he is doing something for me as a listener that doesn't happen all the time - I'm beginning to like something I normally wouldn't. This guy doesn't even have a wikapedia page yet, he only has like 3000 some followers on twitter and I just can't understand it......what he does is take trance songs I already know and love, infuse them with what apparently is called "progressive dubstep" and BLOW, MY, MIND. Anyways, he's got a soundcloud, and I'm officially stalking anything he's remixing lately, also go like him on facebook - makes for immediate finds of new tunes! Below, I've listed my favorites so far.....check-check-check it out. 



I feel like anyone at all that likes "dubstep" or "progressive dubstep" or whatever you want to call it MUST know of this guy right, so maybe I'm just stumbling on to the scene late with this one, but maybe not. Listen and love this guy, for real, and then thank me later. Meowwwww.



Paul van Dyk - I Don't Deserve You (Seven Lions Remix) - Radio Edit


Oceanlab - Satellite (Seven Lions Mix)


Seven Lions - Below Us (feat. Shaz Sparks)


Tritonal - Still With Me Feat. Christina Soto (Seven Lions Mix)

No comments:

Post a Comment