Thursday 6 December 2012

I'M MAKING FUN OF THE GRAMMY'S


First of all, I’d have to give two shits about the Grammy’s in the first place, to allow any of the obviously glaring atrocities that were made last night to affect my day IN THE SLIGHTEST. But I don’t give two shits, and it doesn't affect my day – and here’s why.

Anyone that doesn't realise already that the Grammy’s -- like any other award promoting, performance recognizing platform -- is a solely politically and financially motivated industry would perhaps allow something like last night’s nominations (and I’m speaking purely in terms of the EDM nods) to cry outrage and god forbid – CARE. For some dim-witted, half-skulled musical novices out there that still look to “Billboard” charts and the number of Grammy’s “artists” have as an indication of where to spend their musical dollars and what to listen to - for these individuals, last night’s EDM nominations might matter. Personally, I’m surprised people in the EDM community even care about this crap.

The funny thing is, sometimes I find being counter-culture is ironically so popular these days that the very essence of going against the common grain is in itself, a popular move. Or maybe I’m just hanging out and conversing with some smart, intelligent people. Either way, the fact remains that if you didn’t know the Grammy’s have absolutely 0 insight into what’s actually happening in dance culture and dance music these days, or in the last decade for that matter – well after last night, now you do.

Although a now well-established genre here in our neck of the woods, dance music wasn't always this popular. Dedicated fans use flock to grungy, after-hours nightclubs in hide-away basements, looking to get their electronica fix any way they could. Just because were turning the radio on for a delicious taste of Avicii’s levels and looking to Aoki to spiderman cakes into the faces of “candy” wearing adolescents, doesn’t mean dance music is suddenly alive. IT’S BEEN ALIVE in the hearts of millions for decades. Daft Punk, the Chemical Brothers, trance legend Sasha and techno lord Carl Cox have been ripping up decks and in some cases ACTUAL vinyl for years. Just because the Grammy’s decided to throw a few head nods (and considerably more head nods in the last few years) towards a few DJ’s doesn’t mean ANYTHING. And to even allow it to dominate conversation or rear an interest in fans just gives credit to a platform that simply doesn’t deserve it.

And don’t even get me started on Al Walser. The guys a legend obviously. (I’ll just let the dancing astronaut tear this one apart).


This is how I envision the 2013 Grammy Awards to go down – Skrillex is going to touch up his shave-job and corn row his trademark ‘do’ for the big night, Avicci, or Tim Berg or whatever is name is has already asked Flo Rida to be his date (who eagerly accepted), and Al Walser is going to cake smash a presenter in the face when he excitedly accepts his award….no….wait….that’s Aoki with the cakes. And Swedish House Mafia? Well, they’re going to drop the “Surprise, this isn’t our final tour, but thanks for selling out all those stadiums and buying us matching mansions in Ibiza – see you all next year! We told you not to worry, child” BOMB the night of.

I’m not bitter, I just think it’s so laughable the topic doesn’t even deserve serious commentary. Like I mentioned above, I just don’t give two shits. All I want to do is get my dance on to my favorite tracks, played by my Grammy-snubbed DJ’s…..because we all know next time I buy a ticket to a show I’m going to ask myself…”wait, has this guy won a Grammy yet?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment